Tuesday 7 May 2013

The heartless father

My dearest,

I am not a mother. 
However, for two days now I have been struggling to find the answer to many questions. I am struggling to know  how could a mother let go of her children. I am struggling to understand how a father can leave his crying child at the orphanage because Ms. New Wife married him on the condition that he doesn't keep his son. What is this world coming to? 

I was listening to the fight while I was at the orphanage. The birth mother of the little boy (around 8 years old) died. The boy is crying for his father, but the father admits to the director of the orphanage that he doesn't want to take the child home because of his Bride. It is certainly not my business to judge the woman nor is it my right to talk against this heartless, selfish, cruel father (I think it should be illegal to even refer to him as a father). I am not questioning, and I am attempting to avoid judgement. But I can't. How? Why? How? and Why? How? Again. 

Aside from all this. The child has been examined by a medical team. It is stated his conditions require him to be in a family environment, hence, to be nurtured with love. The so-called father sees this report and decides he will look for a family to "give" his son to. 

My frustration and resentment of the situation does not allow me to write further. 

Children are too precious to be heart broken. If you're mature enough to bring a child into the world, you must understand that it is your God given duty and responsibility to raise that child to the best of your ability. Otherwise, just DON'T DO IT. Simple as that. 

Saza - Shaw bash!

1 comment:

  1. You had quite a child-related week that week, didn't you Saza? The birth of Baby M, the Heartless Father, and the baby being taken in by Kak L - it really runs the gamut of emotions.

    Across the world, in Japan, it was the end of 'Golden Week' - a period of national holidays ending in Children's Day on May 5. Then, the next weekend, most of the Western world celebrated Mother's day. All together it seemed like a nice frame for your week of posts.

    I once heard someone say when people in our future look back on us, the issue that they will shake their heads over - the way we do for things like slavery, segregation, and universal suffrage - is adults putting their own convenience ahead of the rights of children. That certainly seems to be the case here, and it is heartbreaking and I think you have every right to feel angry. I'm somewhere on the other side of the world and it makes me upset!

    I was going to point you towards: http://www.step-uk.com/iraq.php?menu=cprojects&item=foster - the NGO involved in trying to set up the foster program with the KRG, but it seems from twitter that maybe you're already up to speed on that. I met some of the people involved last time I visited Kurdistan and they seemed really good folks.

    Anyway, don't repress your feelings - being upset in this kind of situation is the sign of a healthy mind and a caring heart. I know you can and will continue to channel these experiences into endeavours that make Kurdistan (and beyond) a better place.

    P.S. Sorry this is a week and a half late! I feel like such a bad anonymous blog follower :P

    ReplyDelete