Friday 10 May 2013

Freedom Writers

Dear: Someone, somewhere...
Freedom Writers  - My Friday evening

I am suffocating.

I generally don't enjoy movies. While people watch them for fun, I prefer to do other things. But, when I do watch the rare movie every once a year or so I connect so closely that it lives with me. I live with the characters and I become part of the story myself.

I basically have to hide my tears by pretending there's something in my eye, this is if I don't start sniffing.

My loved ones sometimes watch movies over and over again and I don't see the point. But since the first time I watched Freedom Writers as part of the my school assignment more than a decade ago, every time it has been on TV or I have had access to it, I have not hesitated to view it a second, third and a fourth time.

Tonight, in front of our TV at home, on the sofa I once again tried to hide away my tears as I watched what is one the closest movies to my heart.

I am suffocating.

As much of an inspiration the movie is, just as much it makes me reflect on the realities of my society, of many societies. It reminds me of the injustices, it reminds me of the endless deserving young people (boys and girls) who need someone to believe in them, treat them well and reach out for their hands.

The story reminds me of my friends A.S and B.A.  who together managed to put an orphan through school after 15 years, because no one gave her the chance before (trust me you don't want to hear the excuse).

I hate it how we live in an atrocious world where man kills man. Where we hate one another and we are greedy animals only searching for the interests of our own kind.

I am suffocating because of the injustices happening everywhere, in every direction we look. It is in such a way that you become part of it too... thinking it is normal. But it is not.


Lots of love
Saza - Note to self: Don't ever do injustice Saza to anyone, any race, any background, any person. And here is a promise made.


I am inspired. Trust me. 

1 comment:

  1. The thing I like most about watching movies is that it can be a communal experience, but one that no-one needs to put much effort into. A great way to do something together with loved ones at the end of a busy day.

    I hadn't heard of Freedom Writers before, but I've found it on iTunes now so I'll watch it when I get a chance. I presume you've watched other movies of a similar genre like Finding Forrester, Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets' Society, and Sister Act 2?

    As for the suffocating and the injustice... Let me tell you a story.
    A young girl was walking down a beach after a storm. Along the beach were hundreds of starfish, washed up by the violent ocean. Knowing that the starfish would die if they were out of the water for too long, the girl started picking them up and throwing them back into the water. The girl's father called out to her, 'There's hundreds of starfish! You can't help them all!' 'No,' the girl said, 'but I can help some of them.'

    Keep being that girl, Saza.

    ReplyDelete