Wednesday 15 May 2013

Old is Gold

Dearest...

So, I get a gift from someone dear to my heart. Wait wait. Before I go any further you need to know that once I get used to something it is hard for me to change, it becomes part of my life no matter how old, ugly or useless it becomes. I simply feel when something is loyal to me, I need to be loyal in return... even if it is a mobile phone.

So here I am, all evening long trying to work with a touch screen. I miss my old BlackBerry, where you could hear the buttons every time I phoned or texted. Fell off my hands a million times and never broke (Note: this was not one of those fancy BlackBerry phones, I think it is the oldest one and the first one ever made) but I love it and I miss it. It is time to move on.

No matter how resistant you are to certain progresses, sometimes you just fall in.

I wonder how my grandparents lived without a MacBook Pro, an iPad or a fancy phone. I wonder how they lived without internet. I actually don't wonder, I can imagine it and I to be honest I think life would've been much much better without all these things. Even though they have become priorities in my life.

Imagine an evening without television. How great? You would just sit with your family and talk. Imagine no mobile phones or internet. Even greater, you meet your friends more, talk face to face and you don't reach a point where you have 2000 friends on Facebook, but when you need a shoulder to cry on you look right, you look left and you find no one.

While I love a lot of things about our world, I must admit personally I think I prefer a life without all the extra accessories  that we have now. Although, I know very well these accessories are now necessities.

Good night
Love Saza - I wonder, if I can live a life without any technology. 

2 comments:

  1. Even if I could, I don't think I would really want to live in a world without technology.

    For you, imagine writing a novel entirely by hand. Or trying to get your thoughts published as a 17-year-old in a world of print-only media. Or the connections and even friendships made with people returning from the diaspora who first made contact with you via email. Or the random anonymous blog readers who wouldn't be able to regale you with sad stories about starfish!
    And that's just consumer electronics - saying nothing about advances in areas like medicine and transport.

    There are plenty of problems with technology, but life without it probably wouldn't be much better or worse, just different. The main problem I see with technology is how easily it can consume you. If you remain vigilant with that, then you can have a successful blog and spend your evenings with the TV off, just talking.

    Your loyalty is totally admirable, as is your lack of worship of the god of consumerism so prominent all around us. However, I do look forward to photos on your blogs without that little black semicircle at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Amicus - thank you for the lovely words. You have a point and without technology I couldn't have my indian and lebanese sisters! true true true. Okay, you win :)

      By the way I just got a new gift, a phone! And the camera is just wow! and no more black semi circle to any photograph! :) It's just a matter of learning how to use it now

      Delete