Saturday 8 December 2012

23 and 2 days

Dearest...

Two options, A) you either love me for writing a very short entry two days back, or B) You are upset that I didn't express enough.... if you chose option A then I am afraid this entry is not for you. Because I have a lot to say. And I am going to say it all.

Now that all the birthday celebrations from family, relatives, friends and colleagues are done I want to take a few minutes to look back at my year; 22 was a special year for me, I finished my MA and made one of my dreams come true. At 22 I found some very close people in my life, that have become some of the most special individuals. In the past year I lost one of my uncles and it brought a dark cloud to our family, although with that sadness I also witnessed many happy moments with my family and friends. Including the marriage of two of my best friends, the birth of two beautiful children (even though they are so far away from me), the graduation of my favourite cousins, and I managed to visit UK, Iran and Egypt.

When I was a young girl, full of hopes, dreams and ambitions -- I would like to think that I am still full of that positive energy-- I always wished for my age to stop at 21. I imagined 21 to be the perfect age. Of course, now I know that there is no such thing as a perfect age, reality is very different. I left 21, soon I left 22 and now 23.... the years are passing by like blowing wind. Today, as I write to you, I don't want the years to stop. I don't want to freeze in time and  I don't want to stop growing. Every year there is an experience that gives a life lesson, every year brings winds, storms as well as sunshine and rainbows.

When I am 23 there are a few goals that  I have set myself, above all I want to begin my PhD, although I am aware for reasons beyond my control this may not happen until another few years; if not, then I would like to work on my second book. I have a feeling 23 is going to be special and unique in its own way. I am also going to be aunty to the children of two of my closest friends, a baby boy due in May and a baby girl due in April 2013. I guess having a 23 year-old aunty is going to be super cool - yes? no? Of course yes!

 23 might be a turning point in my life....

Saza - getting old (joking!)


4 comments:

  1. Can't we choose a mixture of options A and B? We love you for including us in your special day, but we're also delighted for you to fill us in with more details now.
    I'm quite impressed that you want to go back and do your PhD so soon - when I finished my Masters, all I wanted was not to write another paper again for several years! Will you do it in the same field? In Kurdistan or overseas? I'm also curious about your next book!
    Keep on growing and changing and experiencing and doing, Saza. We will do what little we can to help you by being here as your loyal readers. Who knows, 2013 may be the year both Kulka and I come to Kurdistan and meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome anytime to this beautiful land which will welcome you with open arms. Dreams come true when we set our minds to them.... so I am thinking, and if the right opportunity comes then I will strike for it!! :)

      Delete
  2. Definately i am going to Kurdistan at the end of march 2013 (before Newroz) - i dont have ticket yet, but i will start to look for a cheap one soon. So i am waiting for you both to give the date and place of our meeting (i think it would be somewhere near Rotana hotel hhhhh).

    Well, no matter how much or how less you write we still love to read.

    And what i can say from my ages of experience - when you will reach my age be sure you will dream to stop the time :)))

    At the moment i am on the edge - my plans for future finished in march - on going to Kurdistan - what i will do after - i have no idea and i am afaraid of this unknown, unsorted, unplaned future. Nothing comes easy in my entire life, thats why i am not scared of turkish bombs falling from the sky when i am in Qandil, but i am scared of tomorrow in the four walls of my room....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never be afraid of tomorrow. I have come to look forward for tomorrow, because there is always something new, you never know that in one night lots of things can change. The change can be very positive.

      Delete