Sunday 22 September 2013

Mayada

Dearest,
Mayada 

Today I spoke to Mayada on the phone. She is the Iraqi woman that Jean Sasson wrote about, in her
book "Mayada." For someone who reads a book, bonds closely with it, and then somehow, someday her wish comes true and she meets the character in real life... sometimes you get disappointed and at other times you are happy.

Previously, I was in contact with Jouana (Love in a Torn Land) and our phone conversation was long, in depth and I must admit she was everything that was built and created in my mind. Today, Mayada, when I heard her voice on the phone (this is after email exchanges) my heart sank. Why didn't I say Ms. Mayada? How about Auntie Mayada? She sounded a little older on the phone. And here I am, casually referring to her by her first name, as if we were lifetime friends.

It was one of those moments I will cherish for a long time. And you know what? She is going to send me a signed copy of her book....



No comments:

Post a Comment