Sunday 22 December 2013

Step into 2014

Dearest...

Nine days left. Only nine days left before the curtains to 2013 come to a close.

What a year.

Earlier this evening I spoke with an old friend. A casual conversation, recapping life, plans and all the events of this past year. She had had one hectic year with many... let's just say mountains to climb in difficult weather conditions (that's the best way I can put it without using too many negative words. In fact, a year that was probably like climbing the mountain at night with thunder, rain and strong wind... yup! More than just a challenge!).

Don't frown. She was strong enough to take on all the challenges, I was happy to hear things have settled and God is rewarding her for all the patients, lack of will to seek revenge and for her pure heart.

After saying goodbye, I looked back at the lives of many close people around me. Those who I have had the privilege of being part of. Many people have gone through a difficult phase-- everything from work related to personal matters to dreams being shattered. Yet somehow, everyone manages to make it through. With time, everything heals and life goes back to what we know to be normal. It all becomes memories.

Every grey cloud passes by first, then it pours down with rain, then the sunshines, and the rainbow appears (or does the rainbow appear before the sunshine part?! Any howww, you get the point), and that, my friend, is the cycle of life. But the size of clouds and the amount of rain differs for different people in different stages of their lives.

Whoever you maybe reading this, wherever you are in the world. Hang on to life tightly, take the right path and you will be rewarded. Believe, dream, achieve. Be a good person. If you ask for my humble advice, I would say:

-  Help others, be there for the people around you, but don't expect a return.

- Make others smile, but don't do it because you have to, do it from your heart. I have realized as a human being there is another need beyond food, shelter and water. It is the need to give to others. If you haven't tried this, this year give it ago, the amount of satisfaction you get can not be compared to anything in the world.

- Dream. Every person, deep down inside has a dream. Please don't tell me you don't, everyone does. Don't be afraid to go to sleep each night imagining that dream becoming a reality. Think of how it will be when it comes true. Think of the little details from how you will feel right then and there to what you will be wearing, where you will be, and who you will share it with.

- Don't gossip. This is the 'dirties thing' a human being can do. To talk behind other people badly is the most disgusting behavior anyone can have. We all do it sometimes without realizing, but make it a habit to avoid this as much as possible. Speak good of others, or don't speak about them at all. You will feel so much better!

- Have a someone. Someone can be a friend, a lover, a group of friends, a mother, a grandparent, a father, a sister, a brother, a neighbor, even a pet. We all need a someone, not sometimes, but every time. Often it takes us decades to find that someone, often that someone is right there but we never gave them enough attention to notice them or appreciate them. And once you have that someone (or some people) show them every time how much you love, appreciate their presence in your life.

- Don't compete. Don't compare yourself to others, or compete with others. Many people would disagree with me on this point, that's fine. But I just believe it's best if we competed with ourselves.

- Belief is key. I happen to be a Muslim, probably not the best practicing Muslim (I am working at it) but someone who believes, someone who prays and looks up to something above, greater than all else. At my weakest times, this has been my source of strength. Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying you, my dearest, should convert. But it always helps to believe in something, that way we don't feel lost in this life. When you believe, all of a sudden there's a purpose in your life.

I can go on, but for now keep these little things in mind as you step foot into 2014,

With love
Saza - Every person can be a better person.




2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Saza,
    We're both trying to seek the will of God, and I believe it is found in the life of Jesus. Go and see the lights in Ainkawa for me!
    I'm pleased you're enjoying 24 and had a great year. As for teaching me Kurdish - it's better to give me a sentence to practice, not just a word!

    ReplyDelete