Friday 13 December 2013

24 going on 25!

Dearest,

Wow. 24 years of my life are gone! It's that evening of every year where I sit down and look back at my achievements, failure, the laughter and tears and all the mountains I climbed and seas I sailed. Tonight is no different. Looking back, 23 with all it's moments was a part of my life that won't be forgotten.

At the age of 23 I went to the Pyramids of Cairo and saw the beautiful African sunset, I took part in two key and very successful conferences, and of course began what could have been a dream career pathway.

At 23, I became the Director of Marketing, Media and Public Relations at the University. It's about a year now I am there, though the ride was bumpy towards the end; and that, my dearest reader, is because after 23 years I realized what it is that I want to do (maybe not for the rest of my life, but at least for the next few years). Hence, with the new year, and as an opening to 24 of existence on this planet I will be trying something new and hopefully exciting (typical me!). I learned more about myself in this job then many other jobs I have done previously.

This was one of the most intense, most rewarding and most enjoyable work experiences I have had.

At 23, I met a new friend who has come into my life, coincidentally she's an artist, on various occasions I would make my way to her place and watch her paint on a large canvas, I learned from her a lot of things, not just about paintings and artists, but about life and people.

At 23, I knew very well who are my friends for life (A.S., A.R., B.R., N.Q., S.I., B.K.,) With them, and with their encouragement and support we undertook various volunteering initiatives, and together we thought of our dream project  (which needs a few million dollars of funding), we even wrote some of the ideas down for someday in the future...

At 23, I was introduced to Edward de Bono's thinking, in which I later became a trainer. I had the privilege of training students, and groups of individuals from the Erbil International Airport Security. Aside from this, with the current situation taking place, I managed to make amazing new friends at the Domiz Refugee Camp, my experiences there this year has been the highlight of my 23!

I am who I am today because of the great individuals who surround me, because of a family who I would sacrifice my life for at any moment if needed. While I remain a little girl at heart, I admit I have learned a lot and have taken every stumble and tumble as a lesson not to be repeated. I have grasped at every opportunity that has knocked at my door (some I had to run after!) and few others I had to let go of, because with 23,  I matured more and Saza found herself thinking more.

At 23, I learned one of the hardest things in life for any individual is to make the right decisions.  This can take us to another few paragraphs which I am sure you won't be interested in reading, so I won't explain why.

Finally, with all my flaws I love who I am today. I welcome 24 with open arms, a year older, and hopefully I am wiser to confront the challenges that 24 has for me. As much as I grow, the child in me will stay, and I will still be the petite girl who loves to dream of a great world!







[This entry was written on December 5, 8:38 PM but I will schedule the publication for a later date]

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Saza! (even if I am a few days late).
    I hope 24 is filled with blessings and joy and the kind of personal growth that doesn't require too much pain. I can't wait to read about all the challenges you overcome and the lives you continue to enrich.

    I hope your job situation is going swimmingly and you've found an opportunity that you can love and grasp with both arms. I hope you can keep working among the downtrodden and the refugees - your stories from Domiz make me want to drop everything and buy a plane ticket - though I think the fact that I can say about 10 words in Kurdish might (for now) be a bit of a hindrance.

    You did, surprisingly, miss one event from this year off your list that I think, had it happened to me, would have been at the top of mine. I hope I'm reading too much into that!

    I have no doubt that you'll continue to edify, inspire, and encourage. You can achieve anything with the support you arouse and galvanise around you - even something that requires millions of dollars! Keep dreaming Saza, and we (all your readers, not just the one who sometimes writes to you) will keep watching on in awe and admiration. You're pretty awesome Saza, and I hope you keep making the world a better place - small step by small step (and hopefully some giant leaps too!)

    P.S. I beat you to the Pyramids - I got there age 21 :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Amicus,
      Long time!!

      Thank you for your words. Thank you for being one of the only four people who read this (Anonymous being the other, as well as my penal in India), since I never publicize the posts, glad some people drop by on a regular bases. Means a lot.

      The refugee camps, have inspired me in many ways, changed who I am for the better. I am appreciating life more than ever before... I can write for ever and it won't be enough. But I will continue to work there in every opportunity I have.

      As for your Kurdish, mine isn't perfect either, but let's make a deal, at the end of every entry, I will write a new word for you to learn :)

      I did not forget to mention the event; on the contrary, it is one of those things that I don't need to write, because it is stamped in my heart and mind. When I think 23, I immediately think of it. Thanks for remembering!

      Thanks for being part of the journey, though you remain anonymous!

      Delete