Thursday 1 August 2013

Next...

Dear... (aaaah, that fulfilling feeling of writing to no one),

Traveling is my weakness. Whether it is to a village half an hour away, to another city or to a different continent. The idea of traveling a certain distance to experience a different culture, environment, people and a society that I am not familiar with is the best thing that could happen to me.

It has been a while since I travelled, the last time I can think of was my Egypt trip. No, correction, in fact I travelled to Duhok and stayed at the Domiz Refugee Camp less than eight weeks ago. I never knew I was so adventurous, but it looks like I need it. My mind and my heart need it. Could I be addicted?

I enjoy the feeling of learning something knew, discovering a culture. By traveling I don't mean going to some fancy Five Star hotel to sit down by the pool all day. No, I mean going to local markets, visiting museums, local sights, mixing with the people, learning the language, making friends, exchanging views and beliefs... that's the travel that I need. The travel that I want. The one I enjoy.

Saza - Late at night (2:03 am) trying to cook up an idea for another journey. 

2 comments:

  1. You're not quite writing to no-one Saz :)
    And I seem to remember some pictures of you with a peacock from Malaysia not that long ago. I know how you feel though - exploring and engaging with different people and cultures is awesome. For me, I'm pretty sure my next travel will bring me to Kurdistan (again) - it's just working out when why and how that's the tricky part.

    P.S. great news that you've found somewhere for Aya - I remember her from your blogpost about the airplane trip a year ago. I must have mentioned that I vaguely know some of the people working on the Foster Care program in Kurdistan (http://www.step-uk.com/iraq.php?menu=cprojects&item=foster). I do slyly wonder though what S.K. thinks of your idea of having half a dozen foster children in your early 20s!

    P.P.S. I certainly hope you don't go on holidays to sit "by the poo" all day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amicus...

    Amicus, long time no hear from you :)

    I just corrected the POOL, thanks for pointing that out, I must have been very tired writing this entry! Sadly, at points we feel like we have found Aya a family, then when paper work start, things change.... we are still praying. The last option will be me brining her home, but then that means I will have to leave work.

    As for S.K. I wonder as well, and as soon as I know I won't hesitate to share it with you! I need to get working on this foster care project, it must be and it needs to be implemented as soon as possible!!!!! As soon as Aya's issue is solved, foster care is next in the list.....

    Thanks for always sharing thoughts and ideas,
    may you enjoy your trips to Kurdistan!

    ReplyDelete