Monday 26 March 2012

A Twanasazi inspiration

I'm sitting on the floor next to the window, the curtains twisted so its not in my way, still the sky isn't fully dark, few stars have made an early appearance tonight. I am proudly looking at my two plants (I have been looking after them very well, I'm sure dad would be very proud of me, I thought they'd die quickly but in fact they've grown fuller and taller) sound of birds tweeting on the trees is like music in my ears.  I love the view of the lake.  Sometimes makes me forget the distance.

There is something magical about me and the people in my life. There are always individuals who I feel I have a very special bond with, I might not spend so much time with them, they may not be my best friends… but somehow, they inspire me, they're in my mind every now and then.

My dearest, most loyal reader…  
LK is one of those individuals. She's a young woman from Kurdistan, her husband and little boy are back home and here she is chasing after a dream. Every time she speaks of them tears fill her eyes, yet she is determined to keep going and complete the degree.
She dropped by to my room the other day, we were talking about our dissertations. With full excitement and motivation, she told me "I'm studying concrete and I love it."
Studying an MA in architecture LK found out something to do with concrete that doesn't exist in Kurdistan. For the next four months she's going to be in labs, behind her laptop and reading books and articles all to do with concrete. Yes, concrete. Something that anyone else would find rather silly. But for LK, "Kurdistan needs this," she is so eager to return back to Kurdistan successfully, with her degree to add something into the nation.
"I owe a lot to Kurdistan for sending me here and allowing me make this dream of mine come true," she told me. Our two hour conversation was mixed with laughter, tears, memories and future goals in life.
In front of me I was seeing a successful young Kurdish woman who is making her dream come true, pushing her limits and wanting to go return to give back to Kurdistan. I wish all Twansazi students were like her. I really do.
My dearest LK, you're a role model, a true inspiration, an asset to Kurdistan. 
As for me, very excited for the days to come, I am going to start the readings for my dissertation. Love the topic, though mine is a little far from concrete.
*Twansazi refers to the KRG's Human Capacity Development Program, HCDP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment