Thursday 19 April 2012

A peshmerga's love

on the train (picture by- SA)
I'm on the train... but no I am not writing on some fancy iWhatEver (iPad?!). I'm writing with a pen in my diary... which happens to be on paper. On this long journeyI have been reading Jean Sasson's book "Love in a Torn Land" after my Indian sister (we're a long story, but we met on mandalawi.blogpost long ago and have become pen-pals since) recommended it
Today, during this train journey I reached a page where Sarabast (a Peshmerga) writes to a Kurdish girl in Baghdad, in one of the love letters he writes:
"You are crushing my heart with your silence
Don’t be silent.
Don’t be cruel.
You are in every page I turn
In every word I write
All the birds here chant your name…"
In a second letter he writes…
"Dearest Joanna,
If sadness had sizes, I would wake up every day to a mountain of sadness.
If yearning had language and tunes, you would hear symphonies.
I know no geography except that towards the south. From the mountain top my vision is as clear as that of Zarqa Al-Yamara, and it pierces the distances towards Baghdad's gates to your window.
The north asks the south about you, the mountain tops ask Baghdad's buildings about you,
The pecan trees ask the palm trees about you,
But there is no answer.
I cover distances,
I go over mountains looking for one word of you,
But words are missing, and the distances are killing me.
Tell me how to reach the road to your heart,
Give me a sign, and I will be there.
I am ready to travel to you; only give me a sign,
And I will come to you. I do not want to lie to you,
But I mean it when I say I will sacrifice my life for you
Sarbast"
This is one of the many Peshmerga love stories I have read. Back home I often look through what is left of my own parent's letters (Sadly bags of notebooks and diaries were lost as they fled) the tragedy is my father's writing is too neat, beautiful  and the language is so poetic that I can't read it; mum's writing is so messy and quickly written that half the letters aren't there and therefore, I also can't read them. But the point I am trying to make here, my dearest reader, is that the Peshmerga were not only fighters in the mountains with guns, but life and its experiences made them loyal lovers and fighters of love, it made them poets and writers, it made them look into the world in a different manner and appreciate the smallest but the greatest things in life.
Today, in Kurdistan this isn't always the case. Maybe I am mistaken, maybe there is but we don't hear of it or see it. But this Peshmerga powered love that endured and risked, that fought and suffered is often no longer there. [SA just took a picture of me, seeing me write she says: "You are talking to the birds again," I smile. Maybe she is right, maybe I am talking to the birds. At least the birds might understand what I'm trying to say.]
Where are the words written on paper?... in an envelope sealed with love that was passed from hand to hand, person to person till it landed in the hands of someone who would confidently say their happiest moment in life was while opening that letter? Where is the feeling of smelling the paper, observing the ink, the handwriting, and the tear drops that have dried on the paper? I wonder where that feeling is when trying to analyze the way every word was written. Where is the poetic words that reflect feelings and thoughts? Where is the suspense of waiting for weeks or months until the next letter is receive?d
Where is the feeling of ones fingers slowly touching every word on the paper….?
Peshmerga, a freedom fighter for his country by weapons and with the mountains. And a fighter for love by the pen, with his heart
My dearest reader, in my father's words "aaaaaaax how the times have changed" 

(I know there are many punctuation errors here. I have tried correcting my computer skills aren't helping. You need to forgive me because this was all hand written)

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Sazan, I am so touched and captivated with your words. I'm almost speechless! I swear you are the only one who can bring tears of joy to my eyes through your writting :)
    Don't ever change

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear sister....
    I am nor sure who you are....but be sure as much as life changes for some reason (even if I want to) deep down inside, some things within me can never and will never change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sazan;

    As a Kurd from northern Kurdistan, facing so much difficulties, although it is really one of the hardest things to be hopeful as our historical nature; whenever I read your writings I feel the meaning of hope deep inside. This one was most touchy one I've ever read. You give me a reason to say "Yes, We can.", keep fire in my heart for my country, people and beloved ones thick and make me proud. To know you exist on the world; I never doubt the voice of that noble peshmerga with full of love and passion in the heart will be heard from every distant corner of the world. Go on like this dear Sazan, as a teacher Farzad Kamangar wrote: "Is it possible to be a teacher where there is a drought of justice and fairness and not teach the alphabet of hope and equality?" as a writer you will make our people know the meaning of equality and proud to be who they are in that similar drought with your writings. I knew Farzad after he has been executed. It always tears apart my heart to be that much desperate to save him from his doom. He has become an angel, a symbol of strength to me. But when I read your posts I realized that death of Farzad created a way to have Kurds like you. I may not fully expressed my emotions in English but I think you've already understood me, because I feel what you feel. I wish your pencil be sharp all the time and I wish strength for you to follow the route which you are on. Stay in peace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Endazyar...
      I read your comment twice, then a third time. I can reply to anything but when I read words like this I can't reply. I Don't know if it is I have nothing to say or if it is I have so much to say that I just can't say it. I feel these words are too much for me, I ask myself do I really deserve such amazing words from someone whose doesn't know me? Despite this, tonight I sleep with a BIG SMILE, you have made my day!!

      As long as I live the ink of my pen will dance across pages of my notebook and my heart will beat for Kurdistan. Thank you for your great words, thank you for your encouragement, thank you for your kindness, you time and your belief in me.

      I appreciate it.

      Delete